Cartwright Elementary School District - Gifted Services
To view the Parent Gifted Testing Recommendation Form in English, click here.
To view the Parent Gifted Testing Recommendation Form in Spanish, click here.
To view the CogAT Information Sheet, in English click here.
To view the CogAT Information Sheet, in Spanish click here.
Gifted Testing FAQ:
The Cartwright School District strives to keep parents informed and involved. Parents should know that:
- Testing is available for students on a periodic basis, at three separate times per year.
- Teachers are given Characteristics Checklist to use when nominating students for testing.
- A parent may refer his or her child for testing for gifted eligibility.
- At least one week prior to testing, a letter is sent to the student’s parent informing him or her of the upcoming test.
- Permission is obtained for testing from the parent. A parent may withhold permission for the testing.
- A letter is mailed within 30 school days, informing parents of test results.
- Upon request, test results are explained to the parents.
How do I know if my child is eligible for gifted services?
- Students who score at the 88th percentile or higher on a state-approved abilities assessment qualify for the Cartwright Gifted Education Program.
My child was identified as gifted. Does he/she need to be re-tested each year?
- No, once identified as gifted in the Cartwright School District, students do not need to be reassessed.
For questions, please contact:
- Dr. David McNeil, Director of Special Services
- Ashley Wilder, Assistant Director of Special Services
- Kate Garis, Gifted Education Specialist
Marc T. Atkinson Middle School and Gifted Academy Middle School Grades 7th-8th, click here.
Marc T. Atkinson Middle School and Gifted Academy Middle School
4315 N Maryvale Pkwy, Phoenix
Jodi Smith, Principal
Melinda Weibel, Assistant Principal
Carolyn Wolters, Assistant Principal
The Atkinson Gifted Academy provides gifted students the opportunity to be clustered with their intellectual peers. Our rigorous program is designed to meet the needs of academically gifted students who possess a high aptitude in academic areas.
Middle Year Program:
Students who qualify in grades 6-8 are eligible to apply to Atkinson’s Gifted Academy.
Atkinson Middle School began its International Baccalaureate (IB) candidacy journey in the 2017-2018 school year.
“The aim of this program is to develop internationally minded people who, recognizing their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world. An IB education center on learners, develops effective approaches to teaching and learning, works within global contexts and explores significant content.”
Students accepted into the Atkinson Gifted Academy will be placed into classes with IB trained teachers.
Students that are accepted into the Gifted Magnet Middle School Program can choose to be bussed to Atkinson from their neighborhood bus stop and/or home school and can be bussed back every day after school.
At Glenn L. Downs, we recognize that gifted students have unique educational needs. We educate each gifted student as an individual, with a focus on meaningful and challenging pull-out activities. Students in our Gifted Learner Magnet Program will grow academically, socially and emotionally, and will meet the high standards necessary to succeed in school and beyond. The goal of the program is to provide a world-class education focusing on individual strengths.
The Gifted Learner Magnet Program is a competitive program. Students who have qualified as gifted on a State Approved Test and who have scored in the 92nd percentile or higher in any area and are proficient or highly proficient in both math and reading will be considered for the program.
Students that are accepted into the Gifted Program at Downs can choose to be bussed to Glenn L. Downs from their neighborhood bus stop and/or home school and can be bussed back every day after school.
School Site Support Specialists
In addition to each campus having identified gifted classrooms, they also have an assigned district gifted specialist at their campus who supports both students and staff.
In order to request a copy of a student’s gifted test scores please contact the gifted department at 623-691-4000 or fax 623-691-5924.
ARIZONA ASSOCIATION FOR GIFTED AND TALENTED:
ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION / GIFTED EDUCATION INFORMATION:
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR GIFTED CHILDREN:
PRUFROCK- GIFTED EDUCATION RESOURCES PUBLISHER:
SENG PARENT GROUPS (SUPPORTING THE SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL NEEDS OF THE GIFTED):
ASU Barrett Summer Scholars:
Maryvale Gifted and Talented Academy: