Nurse's Notes

  • It is the law that no child may enter Kindergarten or Elementary School in Arizona unless he/she has a documented history or record of all his/her shots, or a documented exemption. Please see the detailed immunization information located below.
  • It is important that the nurse is made aware of any medication that your child may need to take for the school year 2014-2015.
  • Please see Nurse Robyn for medication permission slips.
  • Also, update the nurse with any changes in your child's health status and new medications. Please make sure that she has current and accurate emergency and contact numbers.

What shots must my child receive?
DTP, DTaP or DT - Diphtheria, Tetanus (acellular) Pertussis :

  • 5 total doses needed
  • Need only 4 doses if last dose was received at or after age 4
  • As of 9/2002, a 6th dose can be given if 5th dose is given before age 4

MMR - Measles, Mumps, Rubella

  • 2 total doses are required to complete sereies. A valid 1st dose has to be given on or after the first birthday. A second dose can be given as soon as 28 days from the 1st dose.

Td -Tetanus, Diphtheria

  • A dose of Td is required 10 years after the last dose of DTP, DT, and DTAP. However, it is recommended that child be offered the vaccine at age 11-12. This can be given that it has been at least 5 years since last dose.

IPV/OPV - Inactivated/Oral

  • 4 total doses needed---need only 3 doses if last dose was given after 4 years of age.

HEP B (Hepatitis B)

  • 3 total doses are required to complete series.

Documented Records
Immunization records must show the name of the health provider who provided the immunizations along with the name, type and date of doses. Records assembled from memory without the necessary proof of immunization are not allowed.

Anyone Exempted?
The law allows exemptions fro medical reasons or if immuniza- tions are contrary to the personal beliefs of the parent or guardian. For medical examptions, the parent must provide a form signed by the physician, specifying the reason and duration of exemption.

Where can I take my child to get immunizations?
Your child can get their immuniza- tions by your family doctor, pediatrician, military clinic, numberous vaccine provider clinics or with the County Health Department. For more information on Maricopa County Immunization Clinics, location, and time, please call 602.263.8856.

Contact Nurse Westover